Mason Bay

The rebirth and conversion of a New Zealand fishing boat-and maybe her further adventures. Other boats and observations will happen from time to time.....

Monday, May 28, 2012



Have bent on the main and mizzen second-hand sails and they fit OK. Had to adjust the throat halyard block to the mizzen a bit further up. Luckily there was a tang waiting. Marcus, who was visiting kindly cut the lower tang off from the Bosun's chair-he said 1/2 hr but he did it in 18mins! Hand sawing with hacksaw.
The jib is too long in the luff and will have to be cut down by my sailmaker ( when he gets back with a boat from the Carribean....)
Still have to organise the sheeting arrangements. Looking for blocks....
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, May 27, 2012



Now fully recovered from my 70th bash.
Thank you all who contributed to the diesel fund! what a great idea....
Back to normal soon!
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sunday, May 20, 2012


Been at work lately on the drawing board.
Client wants 10m economical diesel cruiser, mainly for passages around New Zealand, even down to Stewart Is at the south of the South Island.
Maybe even a passage up to Fiji.
Specified minimum of 3nm per litre.
I think I have got there, and they like the concept.
Building drawings nearly completed, and will publish here soon...
Posted by Picasa

Friday, May 18, 2012



This is the manual crane I bought a couple of weeks ago.It is now mounted on the deck saloon cabin top to lift the future sailing dinghy up - and anything else really.
The first mounting didnt go according to plan and leaked below into the saloon uggg! So had to dismount it and re-bed it.
We used it to haul the small temporary plastic dink up on the way back at the weekend- worked fine... 
Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Just prior to the shakedown I got the 12v frig up and running. We needed a cold beer - right? Its 85 lit model with a deep freeze across the top.It sits under the co-pilots seat by the way.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, May 14, 2012


The SHATZ 8day clock with bells, and matching barometer mounted in deck saloon.
A Bill Sellers below
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, May 13, 2012



Left Norsand Boatyard after 2 years and 10 days!
Pulled out of the slip at miday on the outgoing tide and steamed the 12 miles or so down river to a bay at the entrance to the deepwater port.
Anchored in Urquarts Bay.
Visite friends for dinner on Sat nite.
Beakfast Sunday morning before steaming back up river to our slip in the Whangarei Town Basin-C7.
No real issues- autopilot flashes lots of lites at me and refuses to take the helm!
Great weekend. 
Posted by Picasa

Thursday, May 10, 2012


Busy getting the galley top varnished. We will want to use it this weekend as we are outa here! Going for a shakedown down thje harbour to Urquets Bay for Friday nite and coming back Sunday to our berth C7 in the Town Basin.
Exiting !!!! 
Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, May 8, 2012



As we are planning a trip down harbour this weekend, it is time to try to sort the anchoring system. The main anchor is a 40kg (100lb) ROCNA. and 1/2in short link chain. We will use an anchor davit to hang out if just changing anchorage,or will swing aboard if on passage.
I think this will be a system in progress and may need mods along the way!
Posted by Picasa

Monday, May 7, 2012


Not the fishy kind! Found a slab of interlocking,curly grained hardwood,enough to cut out 2 sets of gaff jaws. They have to be quite large as the masts are not tiddlers. Now have 2 ss tangs made to attach the halyards and sail cringles to...
Posted by Picasa

Saturday, May 5, 2012


Main boom crutch made. Half-lapped to give support both ways.Primed, undecoated and top coated.
Posted by Picasa

Friday, May 4, 2012


Sorting out the pictures and mounting them (to get them out of the way!) I had planned them and ensured there was a nice panel for each one.
May seem a bit funny getting them up before the furniture, but we are also trying to clear out the garage at home ,which will be the workshop...
Besides its colourful and cheery!
Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, May 2, 2012


Cut the hole for the chimney in the deckhouse top for the wood range. Its called a 'deck iron' and has a trough to contain water to cool it.
There will another one later for the little MIRO in the evening saloon down on the main deck.
Just had a quote for the stainless steel flue and chimney-$300  There are a few subtleties so that all flues enter each one going down so any tar or deposits stay in the chimney instead of leaking out.
Posted by Picasa